Keep your home safe! Living near the Gulf and on the East Coast automatically puts you and your home in harm’s way during Hurricane Season. Keep you and your home safe to the best of your abilities with these steps:
- Verify homeowners insurance and purchase flood insurance, if necessary, as extra precaution.
- Make sure you have a plan! Be sure to prepare a go-bag of all of your prized possessions and necessities in case you have to evacuate.
- Prep your home – Clean out all gutters, trim tree limbs, secure all outdoor furniture/plants/etc., and check your roof for leaks. The last thing you want to deal with is water damage or loose limbs and outdoor furniture flying through your windows.
- Secure all doors and windows. If possible, get window shutters to protect from flying objects in high winds. also, invest in a garage door clamp to ensure your garage door doesn’t decide to fly off.
- Invest in a generator. If you plan on staying during a hurricane, a generator is a necessity if all power goes out. You never know how long you will lose power for.
- Unplug all electronic devices even if you have surge protectors. Better safe than sorry.
- Have a plan for your animals. If you evacuate, take your pets with you or find a pet boarding facility that will take care of them for you. Do not leave your pets behind!
- Make sure you have all of the supplies you need before disaster strikes. Refer to FEMA’s hurricane checklist to ensure you have all the necessary supplies.
These are just a few steps to help you get started on hurricane preparedness. Don’t wait until it’s too late, get started now!